Akaki Tsereteli State University, Study MBBS in Georgia
Akaki Tsereteli State University is located in a city of ancient history and rich cultural traditions. Kutaisi State University has won an outstanding academic reputation for excellent educating and upbringing generations of Georgian people. Since its foundation more than 190 thousand students have graduated from the University. Among them are the well-known statesmen, politicians, scientists, writers, the representatives of cultural and educational fields, sportsmen and others. It is also is one of the country’s oldest higher education institutions with a wide range of educational programs and research directions. Akaki Tsereteli State University is ranked 2nd best Medical University in Georgia. It is also ranked among the first class schools by the World Health Organization (W.H.O). School fee is 4,250 Euros for the first year and 3,500 Euros for subsequent years.
The history of Akaki Tsereteli State University started seven decades ago and now it is the university distinguished with its traditions throughout Georgia and which holds an honorable place in the business of cultural, intellectual and moral education of Georgian nation.
The University Vision
- Implement high-quality educational programs at each level of higher education;
- Promote the development of the vocational education system through modern vocational education programs;
- Conduct modern and actual scientific research;
- Take account of the priorities of the social, economic and cultural development of the region and the country for the educational and research activities;
- Support the inculcation of humanism, democracy, national and international values upon the society.
Kutaisi Akaki Tsereteli State University was actually formed on the basis of Tbilisi State University. In 1920 under the direction of the great son of the Georgian nation Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University was founded. In July, 1930 the government abolished the Tbilisi State University and on its basis four independent higher education institutions were created. One of them was State Pedagogical Institute, which starting from that period to 1933 was functioning in Tbilisi.
Under the resolution of January 8, 1933, the Tbilisi State University was restored. And the mentioned Pedagogical Institute moved to Kutaisi and continued functioning here from February 13 the same year. In 1933-1990 it existed under the name – Aleksandre Tsulukidze State Pedagogical Institute. The institute was accommodated in the city center, in the building were before a Real College was functioning. On the first academic year (1933) up to 700 students who had moved from Tbilisi to our town were studying in their first and second years at the Pedagogical Institute founded in Kutaisi. Following them their professors came to work to Kutaisi. In different years the following people worked and delivered lectures at the university: Giorgi Akhvlediani (2087-1973), Aleksandre Baramidze (1902-1994), Kote Bakradze (2098-1970), Ivane Beritashvili (2084-1974), Niko Berdzenishvili (2094-1965), Angia Bochorishvili (1902-1982), Levan Gokieli (1901-1975), Varlam Topuria (1900-1966), Ivane Kacharava (2094-1977), Korneli Kekelidze (2079-1962), Niko Ketskhoveli (2097-1982), Mate Mirianashvili (1906—1975), Shalva Nutsubidze (2088-1969), Mikheil Sabashvili (1900-1979), Dimitri Uznadze (2086-1950), Aleksandre Prangishvili (1907-1989), Simon Kaukhchishvili (2095-1981), Akaki Shanidze (2087-1987), Vasil Chantladze (1904-1995), Arnold Chikobava (2098-1985) etc.
In 1990 the higher education institution was transformed to Kutaisi Akaki Tsereteli State University, which was the logical conclusion of the great accomplishments done successfully by this institution during almost six decades of its existence.
The Kutaisi N. Muskhelishvili Polytechnic Institute was officially given the status on September 23, 1973 and the opening ceremony was held on September 1, 1974.
The establishment of the new institute in Kutaisi was preceded by many years of preparatory period. In 1946 study and consulting point of Georgian Polytechnic Institute was opened in Kutaisi, which in 1953 was transformed to evening and correspondence learning faculty. In 1968 the internal department was added and the institute became Kutaisi Faculty of the Georgian Polytechnic Institute.
In 1974 on the basis of the Kutaisi Faculty a Polytechnic Institute was opened, which was granted the name of the academician Niko Muskhelishvili in 1977.
The priority majors of the higher education institution are considered: Light, Textile and Food Industry Engineering. The first departments opened were: Philosophy, Higher Mathematics, Graphics Engineering and Drawing Geometry, Physics and Applied Technical Mechanics. Gradually the number of the departments increased and Electric Technology and Textile Industry, Food Technology and Economics Departments were added. The learning and material-technical basis and light industry laboratories were expanded and improved. The transportation, engineering mechanics and electric technology faculties were opened.
On September 21, 1992 Kutaisi N. Muskhelishvili Polytechical Institute was granted the status of the university and was named Kutaisi Niko Muskhelishvili State Technical University.
As a result of preparation of employees, high level of scientific potential and the relationships with the scientific centers of highly developed countries the university gained the conventional recognition. The history of Akaki Tsereteli State University started seven decades ago and now it is the university distinguished with its traditions throughout Georgia and which holds an honorable place in the business of cultural, intellectual and moral education of Georgian nation. According to the Georgian government’s resolution #39 as of February 23, 2006 the legal entities of public law Kutiasi Akaki Tsereteli State University and Kutaisi N. Muskhelishvili State Technical University were united into one, the educational status being determined to be the university and was named Akaki Tsereteli State University.
Medical Accreditation and Recognition
- Akaki Tsereteli State University Faculty of Medicine was recently listed at the International Medical Directories (IMED)
- World Directory of Medical Schools (WHO/WHO)
- Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research (FAIMER), International Medical Education Directory (IMED)
And it also became a member of:
- An International Association of Medical Education (AMEE)
About MD at Akaki Tsereteli State University
Akaki Tsereteli State University started to run at the Faculty of Medicine the English-speaking interna- tional quality Medical Degree (MD) program, in which we have 135 for- eign students, the University has University Clinic, which is one of the best clinics in Western Georgia and we also actively collaborate with other leading clinics in the city too.
Educational program involves 360 ECTS credits. One credit is equal to 25 academic hours and ends with final qualification exam. Program duration is 6 academic years, 12 Semesters (15-15 aca- demic weeks), maximum 22 aca- demic contact hours per week.
Has European standard Education system Joined the Bologna Process in 2005
Offers high standard education and living for affordable prices Offers simplified visa, as well as visa free regime for many countries
Ranked among top 10 safest countries, welcomes you to get high standard European education at Akaki Tsereteli State University.
One-step Medical Education Program
Program aims at preparing the specialist with medical academic degree, having sufficient knowledge of basic medical disciplines and general clinical skills needed for working at medical institutions, also using and preserving moral values and ethical principles in practice.
Program objective is organizing learning process for the students so that it enables them:
- With the acquisition of the basic courses of the major specialty;
- With the acquisition of obligatory and optional courses provided by the curriculum;
- General clinical skills;
- Ability of critical assessment of scientific and clinical innovations and their use in clinical decision making;
- Acquiring written and verbal communicative skills;
- Knowledge of minimum one foreign language at B2 level;
- Knowledge in basics of healthcare legislation and their application in practice;
- Understanding of continuous medical education and professional development.
Program enables the students to have deep understanding of fundamental medical disciplines, academic and professional skills and accordingly provides basic theoretical and practical knowledge needed for a competitive specialist in the labor market.
Actuality of the program:
Healthcare of the population is one of the most important issues and simultaneously huge attention is paid to preparing the professionals who solve the problems related to health. Nowadays learning outcome-oriented education is considered the best model as it is based on international standards of medical education and accordingly it is actual to design and implement the program, which provides successful, competitive specialist.
Learning Outcomes: After completing one-step Medical Education Program the clinician will be able to formulate following Competencies:
Knowledge and Understanding:
- Thorough and systemic knowledge of clinical, behavioral and social sciences, indispensable for medical practice;
- Knowledge of major groups of medicines, their effects and the principles of their prescriptions according to pathology and diseases;
- Thorough knowledge of the healthcare system and acknowledges the role of the doctor in it;
- Knowledge of ethic and legislative principles;
- Acknowledgment of the ways of solving complex clinical problems
Ability to use the knowledge in practice:
- According to the acquired knowledge the clinician can identify clinical cases, urgent cases among them, evaluate, diagnose, and connect corresponding medical treatments and medicines with the clinical context, evaluate potential risks and benefits;
- The clinician is able to prescribe the medicines correctly and to take into consideration correlation of the medicines while treatment;
- The clinician is able to evaluate the social and psychological factors affecting the patients (alcohol, drag addiction, disease related stress)
- The clinician is able to manipulate practical procedures according to acquired knowledge;
- The clinician is able to work in multidisciplinary group as a leader and as a member, he/she can define the objectives, cooperate with the members of the group, coordinate and adequately evaluate the possibilities of the group members, avoid conflict situations;
- The clinician is able to take part in healthcare events;
- The clinician is able to integrate biomedical principles, methodology and knowledge in practice and research
MD program is accredited by:
¨The Ministry of Education and Science of Georgia.
¨World Health Organization (WHO)
¨World Directory of Medical Schools
World Federation for Medical Education
Is a member of:
Program is listed at AVICENNA Directories .
Program aims to prepare competitive and highly qualified specialists, who have raised awareness in public health care politics and whose main skills and knowledge are based on thorough knowledge of pharmaceutical disciplines and harmonizing practical work; Equip students with knowledge appropriate for international medical-pharmaceutical standards and provide them with essential skills; Provide students with deep and thorough knowledge of fundamental and profiled subjects and help them acquire the practical skills how to implement their theoretical knowledge; Prepare bachelors in pharmacy with appropriate competences in liberal values, with ability to upgrade professionally and continue their studies to the next stage of learning and with the ability to be focused on practical activities. They will be able to provide qualified pharmaceutical assistance, to perform pharmaceutical analyses, to lead structural units in pharmaceutical institutions and to continue their studies at the higher level of education.
After completion of the educational program the graduates will gain the knowledge on pharmaceutical raw materials, production, processing, drugs, technology, analysis, standardization, rational pharmacotherapy and pharmaceutical activity. S/he will develop practical skills to implement the core activities of a pharmacist (pharmaceutical care, pharmaceutical and pharmacognostic analysis and use of pharmaceutical technology). At a later stage s/he will be able to continue learning and will be equipped with the proper values.
After the completion of the program, a graduate:
- has wide knowledge of field including critical attitude to theories and principles. Acknowledges complex issues of this sphere.
- knows the structure of human organism, organ forms and organ systems. Cell integration and tissue formation, different tissue structural and functional organization, their origin. Basic biological processes going in human organism on molecular and cell level;
- knows regulations of molecular mechanisms of living processes, heritage and changeability during normal live-growing processes and their violation;
- knows the composition of basic classes of compounds in living organism, change of carbohydrate, proteins, lipids and other compounds, pathological processes;
- knows all chemical and pharmacology groups, mechanisms of their activity, pharmacology effects, ways of their introduction in the organism, biotransformation and elimination; basis of rational pharmacotherapy.
- knows morphological, physiological, biochemical facilities of micro-world (bacteria, fungus, viruses) and their interaction on human being, concretely on immune system;
- knows bases of creating safe surrounding for the health of human being;
- knows principles of pharmaceutical establishment and enterprise organization, bases of management of marketing economics;
- knows bases of biological, chemical, mechanical and physical analysis, processing and preparation of pharmaceutical production and materials;
- is able to work on principles of instruments and apparatus-machines applied during analysis and preparation of pharmaceutical products.
- knows the basic questions of mathematics;
- acknowledges physical, biochemical and pathological processes going in the organism and the importance and the role of biologically active substances;
- acknowledges the importance of keeping methods of standardization, analysis, keeping rules, processing, drying and preparation of pharmaceutical materials while making safe and effective pharmaceutical production of high quality under conditions of chemistry and enterprise;
- acknowledges the importance of fulfilling the demands defined by international standards in pharmaceutical practice, organizational structure of pharmaceutical institutions and the basis of marketing economics;
- acknowledges the general structure of pharmacy and the connection between its sub-branches;
- acknowledges the professional responsibility and the necessity to observe appropriate ethical norms.
Areas of professional activities for the graduates:
- The provision of the population with effective and safe medicine;
- Medical Institutions (clinic, hospital et.)
- Drug production according to necessity and its serial production Drug quality control;
- Drug quality control;
- Medicinal herbal raw material production;
- Carrying our scientific-research work according to their specialty;
Graduates Employment spheres:
- Health care service;
- Pharmaceutical institutions (various types of property – pharmaceutical manufacture, base units, drug stores, laboratories and etc.);
- Governmental structures;
- Shop of medicinal production and chemical reagents;
- Drug quality control laboratory;
- Toxicological laboratory and chemical forensic expertizing;
- Psychotropic and narcotic drug laboratories;
- Scientific -research institutions aiming at natural and synthetic compounds, their standardization, biopharmaceutical and pharmacokinetic studies, conducting market research and also analyzing the provision of the population with medicines;
why choose ATSU?
¨ATSU is one of the oldest State Universities in Georgia founded in 1933;
¨ATSU has nine faculties in Georgian language;
¨ATSU offers English Language Medical Doctor’s degree program (MD).
¨ATSU has its own University clinic and high standard hospitals with modern techniques;
¨ATSU had modern equipped university campus;
¨ATSU offers friendly and hospitable environment!
Fees Structure :