October 3, 2016

Study in UK 🇬🇧

Study in UK 🇬🇧

The UK education system is flexible, so you can study in a way that suits your lifestyle and career aspirations. When you study in the UK you meet people from different nationalities, sharing their backgrounds and discovering new perspectives.

The benefits of studying in the UK

  • The UK institutions consistently rank among the best in the world and qualifications are internationally valued and recognised.
  • The UK undertakes 5 per cent of the world’s scientific research and produces 14 per cent of the world’s most frequently cited papers.
  • UK institutions offer flexibility of choice and enable you to blend academic and vocational courses of your choice.
  • The teaching and study methodology used in the UK give you the freedom to be creative and develop skills sets and confidence.
  • As a student you get the opportunity to be taught by the world’s leading academics and experts; you also benefit from their constant academic support.
  • UK degrees can be tailored to your interests and often include specialised modules.
  • The UK is the home of English hence an ideal place to develop language skills and enhance employment prospects.

Why study in UK?

UK qualifications are respected throughout the world. UK is one of the top and popular destination for higher education.

  • UK BS (BSc) degrees take only 3 years and postgraduate (or Masters/MSc degree) courses take only 1 year – compared with four years and two years in most other countries.
  • UK NARIC (National Academic Recognition & Information Center) provides advice on recognition of foreign qualifications in the UK. This is important as you wanna know how UK Universities look at your qualifications
  • Health care is often free for international students. You are likely to be able to take advantage of National Health Service (NHS) treatment, as well as reduced-cost medicines, dental treatment and eye tests. Find out whether you are entitled to NHS care in the Advice section of the website.
  • The visa regulations keep changing in UK. If you have student immigration permission that allows you to take employment, you can work up to 20 hours or up to 10 hours a week during term-time. This depends on when you made your immigration application, where you are studying and the type of course you are taking.
  • You may first wish to contact your own Ministry of Education or Education Department, as they should have details of scholarship opportunities for students wishing to study overseas. They will also be able to advise you on your own government’s conditions for studying abroad. You may also contact the British Council office in your country of origin, which should have details of British scholarship schemes. The British Council will be able to give you information about educational and training courses and about living in the UK, including how much it costs to study. If there is no British Council office,contact your nearest British Embassy or High Commission.


Admission Requirements for UK Universities

Inquiries concerning admission to a graduate course should be sent to the institutions at least twelve months before the proposed start date. Most institutions do not have a formal closing date for receipt of applications; however, admission to a taught course may have to be submitted by a specific date which varies from course to course. It is also advisable to apply as early as possible given the closing dates and possible level of competition for scholarships given by foundations, trusts and the universities themselves.

For Admission to Master’s Degree a UK Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate subject, awarded with first or second-class Honours, or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard from a university or educational institution of university rank is required. Where the US/Canadian marking scheme is used, a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 is required.

You may have to take one of the following tests: International English Language Testing Service (IELTS) with score 6 or above depending on the course and institution; grade C in Cambridge Proficiency of English or Cambridge Advanced English; Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with score 550 or above; NEAB University Entrance Test in English for speakers of other languages at Grade 3.

Cost of Study in UK

Average undergraduate UK course fees per year:
Foundation courses: £4,000 to £14,000
Arts courses: £7,000 to £10,000
Science courses: £7,500 to £25,000
Clinical courses: £10,000 to £30,000

Average postgraduate(Masters/MSc) UK course fees per year:
Arts and humanities courses: £7,000 to £15,000
Science courses: £7,500 to £35,000
Clinical courses: £10,000 to £40,000
MBA: £4,000 to more than £50,000
Above fees does not include fees for practicals

Medical Care: If your course lasts for more than six months, you will be entitled to free medical care under the UK’s National Health Service. Even if your course lasts for less than six months, your country might have a reciprocal agreement with the UK which will mean that you also are entitled to free medical care. If your country does not have a reciprocal agreement however, and your course lasts less than six months you should set aside sufficient funds to pay for medical insurance.

All students under the age of 16 should have a guardian (UK resident).

Student Visa UK

UK Student visa for EEA Nationals

If you are a national of an EEA country (European Union plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) you can enter the UK as a student with a minimum of formality, you do not require entry clearance or a visa. You may be asked to show evidence that you have been accepted on to a course, and that you have sufficient funds to support yourself whilst in the UK. You will also need your passport. You can apply visa (generally decision is made within 3 weeks) up to 3 months before start of your course. You might have to prove your English proficiency (for non native English speakers)

UK Student visa for Non EEA Nationals

The ‘prospective student’ (which is for post-16 education like BS or above) category is for nationals of countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland. If you are an EEA or Swiss national. If you are EEA or Swiss national then you can apply for registration certificate. This document confirms your right of residence in the UK under European law.

Nationals from many countries are required to obtain an entry visa or certificate before coming to the UK. They can do this at the British Embassy, High Commission or Consulate. Nationals from countries where an entry visa is not compulsory such as some Commonwealth countries should also consider applying for entry clearance before leaving home. This is to ensure a Right of Appeal in the unlikely event that entry is refused. To check if you need a visa look at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office web page at

To come to the UK as a student you will have to produce the following documents

  • A passport
  • A letter of unconditional acceptance for a full-time course
  • Evidence of your ability to meet, without working in the UK, the costs of your course, accommodation and maintenance and to support any dependents accompanying you.
  • Tuberculosis test (depends on your Country).

Student visas are normally granted for an initial period of one year, usually determined by the length of the course to be studied.

When you arrive in the UK, an immigration officer may question you, so take all relevant documents in your hand luggage.

You may take part-time or holiday work but you must not:


  • work for more than 20 hours per week during term time unless your placement is part of your studies, has the agreement of your education institution and leads to a degree or qualification awarded by a nationally recognized examining body
  • do business, be self-employed or provide services as a professional sportsperson or entertainer
  • work full-time in a permanent job
    Can I switch to Work Permit employment when I am in the UK?
    You may be able to switch if:
    you have completed a recognized degree course at either a UK publicly funded further or higher education institution or bona-fide private education institution which maintains satisfactory records of enrollment and attendance
    you hold a valid work permit for employment
    you have the written consent of any government or agency which is sponsoring you
    you have not broken immigration lawCan I bring my husband, or wife and children with me?
    Your husband or wife and any of your children under 18 can come to the UK with you during your studies as long as you can support them and live without help from any public funds.
    The authorities must also believe that you are a genuine student, that you intend to leave at the end of the course and that you have the required qualifications to take the course. It is a good idea to keep all documentation in your hand luggage during travel, as it may need to be produced on arrival in the UK.If you are issued with a visa for more than six months it will be the equivalent of a multiple entry visa. If you are a national of a country where entry clearance is a requirement and your course is for six months or less you may want to consider applying for a multiple entry visa in order to leave and re-enter the UK during this time.Important note: Do not enter the UK on a visitor’s visa with the intention of changing to a student visa at a later date. This is because unless you are from a country whose nationals do not need to obtain a visa before coming to the UK, you will not be able to change to a student visa and will have to return home to make an application

    In self-contained flats, your rent will usually be payable monthly and your landlord or landlady is unlikely to live on the premises. Any rules you are required to keep will be written in the lease or agreement you have signed which is legally binding. The lease will usually be for specific periods and once you sign you are committed to renting the flat for that length of time. So study the lease carefully before signing, and if necessary take legal advice.

    Passport stickers, stamp and length of stay
    If you apply for a visa at a British Embassy, Consulate or High Commission outside the UK, you will receive a sticker called a vignette, in your passport with your conditions and length of stay. When you arrive at the airport, you will receive a stamp to show when you entered the UK.

    If you are applying for entry at a port of entry (you can only do this if you are from a non visa national), you will receive a stamp in your passport with your conditions and length of stay.

    You can stay for full duration of course + few more months/weeks (1-4 depending on the course). At the end of that time, you must leave the UK unless you have applied to extend your stay or to switch into another immigration category.

    The Immigration Officer will have endorsed your passport with any other restriction that may apply to you. Some students will be asked to register with the Police, please see the later section on registering with the Police.



1. Anglia Ruskin University

2. Bangor University

3. Birmingham City University

4. BPP University

5. Brunel University

6. City University London (NO Business School)

7. Coventry University

8. De Montfort University

9. Glasgow Caledonian University

10. Glyndwr University Wrexham

11. Heriot-Watt University

12. Keele University

13. Kingston University London

14. Leeds Beckett University

15. Liverpool John Moores University

16. Manchester Metropolitan University

17. Middlesex University London

18. Newcastle University

19. Northumbria University
20. Nottingham Trent University

21. Oxford Brookes University

22. Plymouth University

23. Queen’s University Belfast

24. Richmond University

25. Staffordshire University

26. Swansea University

27. Teesside University

28. Ulster University

29. The University of Winchester

30. University of Bedfordshire

31. University of Bradford

32. University of Brighton

33. University of Central Lancashire

34. University of Chester

35. University of Derby

36. University of East Anglia

37. University of East London

38. University of Essex

39. University of Greenwich

40. University of Hull

41. University of Kent

42. University of Lincoln

43. University of Liverpool

44. University of Northampton

45. University of Portsmouth

46. University of Roehampton

47. University of Salford

48. University of South Wales

49. University of Stirling

50. University of Strathclyde

51. University of Sunderland

52. University of the West of Scotland

53. University of West London

54. University of Westminster

55. York St John University